Why switch to natural disinfectants?
- Not only are chemical cleansers and disinfectants toxic, they can cause harmful side effects for you and your family. Chemical cleansers and disinfectants only kill some of the germs in your home. Those that stay behind then begin to adapt and mutate.
- The use of antibacterial products seem like a good way to resist bacteria, but overuse of antibacterial goods can lead to superbugs. Superbugs are increasingly more resistant to antibiotics. There is no evidence that antibacterial use results in fewer illnesses.
- Everyday dirt and germs can be good for you! The overuse of chemical products can actually weaken your immune system. All of that energy spent trying to make your environment germ free make it harder for your immune system to adapt to stronger strains of bacteria. So it is possible for your home to be too clean.
Use these effective natural cleansers and disinfectants!
Nothing beats good old fashioned soap and water. Use it to wash your body, your clothes, and the surfaces in your house. Here are some other unique and natural ways to clean and disinfect your home:
- Spray hydrogen peroxide if you want to whiten. Follow up with a spray of vinegar to disinfect.
- Simmer cloves and cinnamon on the stove for a natural air freshener.
- Use baking soda to absorb odors in carpets, trash cans and inside your fridge and freezer.
- Mix baking soda with apple cider vinegar to scrub your bathroom, including your toilets and tubs. It actually does a better job and does not have the toxicity of most bathroom cleaners.
- Use Vinegar on counters, floors and windows. One cup of vinegar to three cups of water is strong enough to clean even the grimy outsides of your windows.
- Add Baking soda to your rinse cycle for fabric softener.
- Use club soda in a spray bottle to clean windows and mirrors and lose the chemicals of Windex and other glass cleaners.
- Add Lavender and tea tree oils to baking soda or hydrogen peroxide to add a natural antiseptic to your cleaning solution and to leave behind a pleasant scent.
These natural cleansers and disinfectants are guaranteed to leave your home clean and smelling great. Even just these small efforts to replace chemically based products in your home with natural disinfectants will give your immune system the chance it needs to adapt and strengthen.